Want to declutter your hi-fi? Dynaudio has one of the tidiest designs yet with its new Xeo range. What you get is a pair of active speakers with built-in DAC and wireless transmitter. The only wires you need are mains cables to power the speakers. There is also a remote for selecting the source and controlling the volume.
Xeo 5 is a floorstander with dual woofers.
Xeo 3 is a standmount or bookshelf model measuring just 170 x 281 x 246mm.
Both models have a 100w power rating (50w woofer and 50w tweeter).
You attach your sources to a transmitter box that accepts analog, digital or USB connections, though there is only one SP/DIF digital input which could be a nuisance, and it is optical only. Maximum digital resolution is 25 bit / 48 kHz.
The range of the transmitter is (roughly) up to 50 meters through obstructions, or up to 100 meters in free space.
Price is around £1180 for the Xeo 3, or £2450 for the Xeo 5, plus £210 for the transmitter.
A neat solution; but for that kind of price you will want good sound and I hope to report on that soon.
- Audyssey Lower East Side speakers: remarkable sound quality in a compact package complete with DAC
- Wireless power at Mobile World Congress: no more chargers?
- AVI announces ADM40 active floorstanding loudspeakers
- Review: Lenco iPD-4500 portable iPod dock–zip up your sounds
- Review: Verbatim’s USB audio bar – simple, well made, good sound